St. Bertolines, Barthomley

OS Ref: SJ768524 - C12

Stonework in south aisle, C15 west tower.  Norman doorway on north side of chancel.

Chancel rebuilt in 1926.  Crewe Chapel ca 1528.  Wooden screen C16.

Foulshurst monuments 1390 and 1529.

On December 23rd 1643 Royalist forces attacked a group of villagers who had taken refuge in the tower.  The officer in charge of the troops, Major Connaught, ordered a fire to be made of rushes and church furniture at the foot of the tower and ‘smoked’ the villagers out, slaughtering twelve of them.

Photograph courtesy of Bill MOSTON at